Thursday, July 9, 2009

Oprah sized pressure

Ok, so last week I caught a few minutes of an Oprah show. It was all about moms who agree that momminess is hard, that we don't want to admit how difficult it is, that we put too much on our plate etc. I agreed 150%.
But THEN- the 'experts' were saying how moms need to keep their love life the priority. Great. Just stinking great- like I need one more thing to make a priority! So this got me thinking- it's so totally not even a little bit fair to put that off on the moms- that it is up to us to make sure our marriages don't go down the toilet. Don't we have enough to do? Whether you are a work at home mom, stay at home mom, work from home mom- you work. YOU WORK like a dang slave. Cooking, cleaning, keeping everyone happy, trying to teach your kids how to become wonderful compassionate people, trying to keep your husband's belly and underwear drawer full. Then if you have a 'job' on top of that- which takes another 40 hours out of your week and means you also have to coordinate babysitters, school schedules, carpools, extra curricular activities, and deal with yet another boss.
And now- thanks a lot Oprah- I have to add one more thing to my list of priorities?!?!? I would love to focus all my time and energy on being an 'attentive' wife- but who would be MY wife? Who would clean up after me and make sure my kids were bathed and fed?
My favorite line from the show "Let things slide once in a while! The laundry will still be there after you make love!" Dang right it will be there- be there waiting for ME to wash it, dry it, fold it, and put it away. Waiting for the next load to go in and the stains to be scrubbed out.
Oprah can agree with these experts all her life- she has no children SHE ISN'T EVEN MARRIED!!
Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment